Diploma and DVDs

by Christina
(Monticello, Fl. US)

I am debating many things, first, between Abeka and Alpha Omega. I want my daughter to be able to work at her own pace and advance to the next grade level when she is ready, not based upon her age. Second, if I use the non accredited Abeka curriculum, will she still receive a high school diploma? Lastly, the DVDs you receive for the Abeka program, are they allowed to be kept or do they have to be returned?

Jamie's Reply to Diploma and DVDs:

I don't know anything about Alpha Omega, but I can answer your Abeka questions!

Abeka has 2 programs. Program 1 is a fully accredited program, Program 2 is non-accredited. Both programs require you to return all course work within 10 months, but you must spend at least 6 months from the start date. In other words, your daughter could work at her own pace as long as she completed all the course work within that 6 - 10 month time frame.

With Program 1, report cards are given and they go in the school file. You will also get a diploma acknowledging that all the requirements were met. For example, to graduate from their high school program, you need to complete 4 credits of Bible, 4 Math, 4 Language, 3 Science, 1 Spanish, 1 Gym, 1 Art, (etc.). Abeka charges a small fee when they issue a diploma.

In Program 2 (non-accredited) the parent is required to keep records. Abeka Academy is unable to offer a diploma upon graduation for Program 2. Text books, tests, answer keys and DVDs are supplied to complete grade/courses selected.

DVD's must be returned using their postage paid box. They're shipped quarterly and you get 3 months worth of school in each box (180 lessons in 4 boxes). Their programs allow for maximum flexibility, not limited by age requirements. You must return all DVD's within 10 months. If they're not returned within the end date, you'll be charged an extra fee.

I took this information right from Abeka's manual. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help any way I can! Or here is a number to call Abeka directly: 1-800-874-3592

Blessings to you and your daughter!

Comments for Diploma and DVDs

Click here to add your own comments

Also consider
by: Nita

If you have an Umbrella program in your state you can use that as a source for your transcript, diploma and grade tracking. Although, some parents use their own.

Also, if you want to use Community College courses to meet your High School requirements, after you child takes 30 credits they can transfer to most colleges without a HS diploma, transcript or SAT scores if they have a 2.5 GPA or better.

Look at what your kid wants to do after high school to put together the best option for them.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Abeka Forum.